Welcome to AutoBoardz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump,

 
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Chevrolet Forum RSS
Next:  Great Site for Subaru Foresters  
Author Message
Ken

External


Since: May 19, 2008
Posts: 8



(Msg. 1) Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm
Post subject: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump,
Archived from groups: alt>autos>4x4>chevy-trucks (more info?)

What's worse it's an intermittent problem and don't trust it any
further than I can push it
'Bout two weeks it started fine, but when I turned on the lights, the
engine died--no fuel to the TBI
Didn't make the connection for a while as I swapped fuel pumps and
everything was fine (for a while)
Died again a few miles from home and this time I noticed no
headlights, no tail lights, no interior lights, no fuel pump, but will
still crank.
Towed it home and discovered the fuel pump would work when connected
to a 12V source
Swapped the headlight switch....... no luck
Took apart the engine wiring harness to the fuse block, didn't see any
corrosion and everything worked again until yesterday
Have power thru the fuse block from the two hot wires
Plan on going out today to check on just fuses which have power and
which don't with ign switch on.

Anyone else ever have this c**p happen to 'em?
Must be a short somewhere but where?

 >> Stay informed about: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, 
Back to top
Login to vote
klutz

External


Since: Apr 11, 2008
Posts: 6



(Msg. 2) Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 pm
Post subject: Re: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Ken wrote:
> What's worse it's an intermittent problem and don't trust it any
> further than I can push it
> 'Bout two weeks it started fine, but when I turned on the lights, the
> engine died--no fuel to the TBI
> Didn't make the connection for a while as I swapped fuel pumps and
> everything was fine (for a while)
> Died again a few miles from home and this time I noticed no
> headlights, no tail lights, no interior lights, no fuel pump, but will
> still crank.
> Towed it home and discovered the fuel pump would work when connected
> to a 12V source
> Swapped the headlight switch....... no luck
> Took apart the engine wiring harness to the fuse block, didn't see any
> corrosion and everything worked again until yesterday
> Have power thru the fuse block from the two hot wires
> Plan on going out today to check on just fuses which have power and
> which don't with ign switch on.
>
> Anyone else ever have this c**p happen to 'em?
> Must be a short somewhere but where?

Take a good look at the condition of the connections at grounding points,
particularly where a cable is grounded to the frame. Corrosion is sometimes
hard to detect and it can drive you to wit's end. Also, inspect the
negative battery cable terminal. I've seen corrosion build up beneath the
insulation (where it's nearly impossible to detect) and cause a poor
electrical connection. Good luck.

 >> Stay informed about: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, 
Back to top
Login to vote
Ken

External


Since: May 19, 2008
Posts: 8



(Msg. 3) Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:16 pm
Post subject: Re: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, (FIXED [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Nov 17, 6:15 pm, "klutz" wrote:
> Ken wrote:
> > What's worse it's an intermittent problem and don't trust it any
> > further than I can push it
> > 'Bout two weeks it started fine, but when I turned on the lights, the
> > engine died--no fuel to the TBI
> > Didn't make the connection for a while as I swapped fuel pumps and
> > everything was fine (for a while)
> > Died again a few miles from home and this time I noticed no
> > headlights, no tail lights, no interior lights, no fuel pump, but will
> > still crank.
> > Towed it home and discovered the fuel pump would work when connected
> > to a 12V source
> > Swapped the headlight switch....... no luck
> > Took apart the engine wiring harness to the fuse block, didn't see any
> > corrosion and everything worked again until yesterday
> > Have power thru the fuse block from the two hot wires
> > Plan on going out today to check on just fuses which have power and
> > which don't with ign switch on.
>
> > Anyone else ever have this c**p happen to 'em?
> > Must be a short somewhere but where?
>
> Take a good look at the condition of the connections at grounding points,
> particularly where a cable is grounded to the frame.  Corrosion is sometimes
> hard to detect and it can drive you to wit's end.  Also, inspect the
> negative battery cable terminal.  I've seen corrosion build up beneath the
> insulation (where it's nearly impossible to detect) and cause a poor
> electrical connection.  Good luck.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Thanks for the reply

Finally found the problem after taking out the entire dash.
(Like they say: "Kids, don't try this at home")
Turned out one of the two hot wires in the connection block between
the engine wiring harness, thru the firewall and into the fuse block
just decided not to connect.
Nothing was visibly fried, corroded, broken or otherwise fouled, but
still....

Picked up another wire and connectors from the local Pick n Pull and
swapped 'em.
Only took about 5 hours to get everything back together.
I'd hate to see what a shop would have charged me to find n fix it.
Probably would have sold me an entire wiring harness, but wouldn't
have taken two weeks to figure it out
 >> Stay informed about: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, 
Back to top
Login to vote
Steve W.

External


Since: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 203



(Msg. 4) Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:38 am
Post subject: Re: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, (FIXED [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

>
> Thanks for the reply
>
> Finally found the problem after taking out the entire dash.
> (Like they say: "Kids, don't try this at home")
> Turned out one of the two hot wires in the connection block between
> the engine wiring harness, thru the firewall and into the fuse block
> just decided not to connect.
> Nothing was visibly fried, corroded, broken or otherwise fouled, but
> still....
>
> Picked up another wire and connectors from the local Pick n Pull and
> swapped 'em.
> Only took about 5 hours to get everything back together.
> I'd hate to see what a shop would have charged me to find n fix it.
> Probably would have sold me an entire wiring harness, but wouldn't
> have taken two weeks to figure it out

I have seen that a couple times. The usual problem is that the pins
didn't get seated fully when the harness was made. When first built they
connect but a few years of hot/cold cycles and rough roads and they
become intermittent. It's a PIA to find, because as you discovered with
yours. Nothing looks like it's messed up in the block.
I have also seen more than one where the fuse connectors LOOK fine but
they no longer pass current. Pull the fuse block and they still look OK
until you actually test the clips.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
 >> Stay informed about: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, 
Back to top
Login to vote
Ken

External


Since: May 19, 2008
Posts: 8



(Msg. 5) Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:30 pm
Post subject: Re: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, (FIXED [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Nov 22, 6:38 pm, "Steve W." wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply
>
> > Finally found the problem after taking out the entire dash.
> > (Like they say: "Kids, don't try this at home")
> > Turned out one of the two hot wires in the connection block between
> > the engine wiring harness, thru the firewall and into the fuse block
> > just decided not to connect.
> > Nothing was visibly fried, corroded, broken or otherwise fouled, but
> > still....
>
> > Picked up another wire and connectors from the local Pick n Pull and
> > swapped 'em.
> > Only took about 5 hours to get everything back together.
> > I'd hate to see what a shop would have charged me to find n fix it.
> > Probably would have sold me an entire wiring harness, but wouldn't
> > have taken two weeks to figure it out
>
> I have seen that a couple times. The usual problem is that the pins
> didn't get seated fully when the harness was made. When first built they
> connect but a few years of hot/cold cycles and rough roads and they
> become intermittent. It's a PIA to find, because as you discovered with
> yours. Nothing looks like it's messed up in the block.
> I have also seen more than one where the fuse connectors LOOK fine but
> they no longer pass current. Pull the fuse block and they still look OK
> until you actually test the clips.
>
> --
> Steve W.
> Near Cooperstown, New York- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I'm just happy it happened in front of my house, and not where we camp
in the Sierra Nevadas, 10 miles from the nearest paved road
 >> Stay informed about: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, 
Back to top
Login to vote
shermanslot




Joined: Nov 17, 2010
Posts: 1



(Msg. 6) Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:04 am
Post subject: Re: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, ( [Login to view extended thread Info.]

I am having the same exact issue with my 87 gmc S-15 jimmy. This maybe a stupid question but could you tell me how you tested the wire and witch one it was. My jimmy's headlight, fuel pump, interior light, radio, lighter quit working. The turn signals, power windows, wipers, and gauges still work. Please let me know which wire you had to replace. I'm more of a shade tree mechanic and don't know a lot of the lingo. I wasn't sure if you could let me know if you have to take apart dash in order to get to the wire also. Sorry for all the questions, but this problem is really getting my PO'd,
 >> Stay informed about: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, 
Back to top
Login to vote
bigdan




Joined: Jan 17, 2012
Posts: 1



(Msg. 7) Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:33 am
Post subject: Re: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, ( [Login to view extended thread Info.]

same prolbem with my 89 s10 blazer no headlight no fuel pump or heater
will crank but wont start checkd all fuses and all the wires unless i missed something is there any fuselinks any where to check?
 >> Stay informed about: 91 S-10 Blazer, no headlights & no power to fuel pump, 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
93 chevy 350 no fuel pump power coming out of ecm to relay - working on a 93 chevy pu 350 i dont get the power out of the ecm when key is turned on ot turned to start i went to the back of the ecm and when i put power to the wire the relay kicks in and so does the fuel pump, but do not get any thing out of ecm so ...

fuel pump - happened to me too. I also did the same checks as you. I also blew the line out from front to back and back to front before droping the tank to change the pump. It's easier than it reads , the most difficult was draining the tank enough to move it.

Fuel pump??? - O.K. here goes no one has the answer for this when i start my pick up in the morning it takes 5 to 10 secs to start sometimes it stalls right away ....... when i restart it and give it some gas the choke picks it up but when i start driving say from a..

Fuel pump - My 2000 Chev S10 4x4 truck just had it's fuel pump replaced about 15 months ago. I went to Advanced Auto and bought and had one installed. Now this one is acting up. The truck will not start in the morning, I have to spray a little bit of ether to...

Noisy Fuel pump on 5.7L - I have a noisy fuel pump on my GMC Sierra. I put some Lucas fuel conditioner in and it seemed to help a bit. Any advice? Blair
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Chevrolet Forum All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]